Sunday 4 January 2015

Happy New Year

I think I have shown all the small number of New Year stamps I possess before, apart from this one, which shows the Kremlin Spassky Tower with its chiming and musical clock.  The lit up towers of Red Square must look beautiful on New Year's Eve.

I remember at the millennium we were shown New Year as it arrived first in the South Pacific and then watched as the world celebrated and time moved across the globe.  The most spectacular New Year's celebration were those of Sydney Harbour, and they continues to be so, how can you beat that stunning setting with the iconic bridge. It is estimated that 1.6 million came to watch down at the harbour and it always features on the news here. For those who like numbers this year there were 10,000 aerial fireworks, 25,000 shooting comets and 100,000 pyrotechnic events.

This stamp is celebrating Sydney itself  and there is a cake involved  -  
One of the stamps of the second series of 'Road Trip' which appeared in 2013 featuring Gavin Ryan's artwork which
makes me smile. 

An entry to Sunday Stamps hosted by Violet Sky's See It on a Postcard here.
The themes this week are - Astrology, New Year celebrations or a favourite that makes you smile.

6 comments:

Lisa B said...

The Russian stamp is a great design, very much of the era. Happy New Year to you.

violet s said...

yes, those Australian 'road trip' stamps (and postcards) make me smile, too!!
Happy New Year

Bob Scotney said...

I liked the Russian stamp and as for the one of Sydney I have a broad smile as I type this.

Postcardy said...

The Australian stamp makes me smile too. It is nice to see the design enlarg0....................................

(my cat just stepped on my keyboard)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

viridian said...

I do like the old style of the Soviet stamps.