Thursday 26 September 2013

You Lookin' At Me

Unlike reindeer the European Elk is a truly wild creature and in this postcard it roams the Finnish forests. In the Finnish language it is called - hirvi.  Don't those antlers look wonderfully velvety.  The Wiki Brain tells me that elk or moose are distinguished by their palmate antlers. Palmate was a word I had not come across before and I learn that it means hand shaped with lobes radiating from one centre.

Eeva tells me Finland "has a good population of these handsome animals"  I looked up what the numbers might be and learnt in the summer there can be as many as 115,000.  That is whole lot of handsomeness.

2 comments:

Maria said...

That's a really nice title for this card! :)

Scriptor Senex said...

A super card. I think they always look so gentle. I wonder if they are?