Sunday 31 March 2013

Easter and its Symbols

2013: Easter Rooster (designer Katja Saario)
The Finnish Easter Rooster (pĂ„sktuppen) is celebrating the season by decorating himself with pussy willow and daffodils. With his feet he  plays with the golden chocolate egg, laid by himself.  Almost as strange as the Easter bunny carrying a basket of chocolate eggs, but I didn't have a stamp of that so

2006: Animal Tales
 perhaps a white rabbit with a watch would suffice.  Three symbols of Easter, the  renewal of the earth and the coming of Spring.  For some it may mean a visit to church
"Sunday in Church" 1994: International Year of the Family
or perhaps as George Bernard Shaw wrote "The best place to seek God is in a garden.  You can dig for him there"
1988: British Gardens
An entry to Viridian Postcard's Sunday Stamps theme - Christian and Easter Symbols and flowers.

6 comments:

Lisa B said...

Fantastic selection, as always I love the Finnish stamp, the Alice in Wonderland set is one I missed.

Bob Scotney said...

I missed out on the Sissinghurst stamp too.

Marcie said...

I did not know about this Easter roster before. Interesting story!

viridian said...

An Easter rooster, who would have thought. A great stamp. Thank you for participating.

agi said...

great choice of stamps :)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I just love the South African stamp! I hadn't heard the Shaw quote before but I tend to agree, plus it would have given me more scope with stamps.