Sunday 14 October 2012

Lets Dance

In a country as vast as China there are many traditions and they issued a series of stamps on "Chinese Folk Dances" in the '60s.  Here are the ones I have
Kawas "Knife"

The names are the ethnic origins of the dance.  China has nearly 60 designated ethnic minorities.
L-R:-   Han "Flower Drum Dance; Mongolian "Ordos"; Chuang "Catching Shrimp"
The Han Chinese are the the majority of the population so it probably that reason that the Flower Drum Dance is well known outside the country. We are all familiar with the Lion and Dragon dances performed at new year but these also have regional variations,
Tibetan "Fiddle"
Folk music and dance survive through the centuries and do so even through periods of oppression as in Tibet.  Emigrants and exiles take their culture with them.
L-R:- Yus "Wedding Ceremony"; Pais "Encircling Mountain Forest"; Yaos "Long Drum"

Some dances are only performed at special occasions or festivals.  I think this is a lovely series, the traditional costume and the simplicity of the design captures the essence of the dances.
Korean "Fan"
And finally just because it it such a beautiful dance here is the Korean 'Fan'

An entry to Viridian Postcard's Sunday Stamp theme of - Folk Culture

9 comments:

Helen said...

What a beautiful set of stamps. China certainly has a rich cultural heritage!

Postcardy said...

That's a beautiful series. The stamps look like they are dancing around on my computer screen!

viridian said...

There is a lovely sense of motion in these images. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa B said...

A beautiful series, everyone is finding such pretty designs for this theme :)

Dănuţ Ivănescu said...

Oh, I know this series from my childhood and I like it very much.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful series indeed! and the way you posted the stamps make the dancers "move" when I look at them. :)
My Sunday Stamps: Folktales

Bob Scotney said...

The series of the week for me. And you have also included the Yaos Long Drum which I think I have shown before without knowing what it was.
I played your video over and over.

agi said...

very cute, thanks for sharing :)

Marcie said...

These are lovely :)