Sunday 2 September 2012

Where Music Dwells

1969: "Paintings and Music"
I was going to cover the continents with Viridian Postcard's  Sunday Stamps theme of 'Art, Music and Dance' but alas too many gaps so I'll go to the other end of the spectrum and feature just one country - Rwanda.  The first stamp is the Van Eyck's "Musical Angels",  which could covers all three themes if  including the medieval theological question of how many angels could dance on a pin head. This painting is only a fraction of the whole Ghent Altarpiece also known as 'Adoration of the Mystic Lamb' considered one of the world's greatest paintings. If only I had known that it still resides in Ghent when I visited briefly earlier this year, doh.  Happily during recent restoration of the work the Getty Foundation photographed every inch and  turned it into a "100 billion pixels" and launched its own website to the world.
1973: "Musical Instruments"
The wonders of the internet did not however lead me to any description, or sound, of this arched harp which is described as a Longombe but Africa possesses an amazing variety of of stringed instruments. 
1970: African National Costumes
Here I think are griots (praise singers, storytellers, poets and musicians) from Niger, one playing a flute.
1967 World Fair (Africa Place)
 At last here are some dancers on their way to the Montreal Expo of 1967 the site of which remained open as a theme park until 1981.    
166 UNESCO 20th Anniversary (Cultural Emblems)
Rwanda jointed UNESCO in 1962 and this year was awarded a prize for its adult literacy programme. The  Intore "Dance of Heroes" is I think the one portrayed on the Expo stamp and is traditionally a dance that all three ethnic groups, Hutu, Tutsi and Twa danced together.  The UNESCO constitution says "Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defence of peace must be constructed".  So lets dance...

 

7 comments:

VioletSky said...

This is interesting to see stamps from a country such a Rwanda that we mostly know from a war torn country.
That harp is pretty amazing!

Ana said...

awesome choice! one does not every day get to see stamps from Rwanda..esp. not so many at one place! the first three are my favourites here!

Sreisaat said...

Wow, I love the Rwandan stamps showcase :D These are really interesting stamps and I can only wish I have some of them in my collection. I have always been interested about African culture and in one way or another, I had a glimpse of it here through the stamps. Thank you for sharing them :D


Postcards Crossing

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful set of stamps the somewhat introduce the Rwandan culture.
My Sunday Stamp: Arts,Music, And Dance

Bob Scotney said...

I have a few Rwandan stamps but nothing that prepared me for the splendid ones you've posted. Enjoyed the dance video too.

viridian said...

Delightful stamps.
Thank you for participating.

viridian said...

P.S. I have bookmarked the vanEyck website - I think I will be spending a lot of time there.