Sunday 18 March 2012

Birds of a Feather

As St Patrick's Day falls this weekend I thought for this week's "anything you like" option I would look what stamps I had for Ireland so here are some native birds,
 Ireland has been issuing Irish flora and fauna definitive stamps since 1997 and these birds span the change of currency from the first two in Irish pennies to
 the change to the Euro in 2002 when the charge was in cents. Thirty Irish birds have appeared on the stamps
one of the last to be issued (which finished the series) was the 60c Sea Puffin.  All stamps were designed by Killian Mullarney the Irish ornithologist and bird artist living in County Wexford, possibly most famous for his illustrations in bird identification guides.  
 
 An entry to Viridian Postcard's Sunday Stamps

7 comments:

Postcardy said...

That set looks quite educational--almost like having a guide book.

Alhana said...

This is the kind of stamps I like -- and sadly I don't get to use as Spanish postal service people lately seem to think they are "old-fashioned" and continously releases digital art-made stamps.

The Sea Puffin is just lovely!

Bob Scotney said...

I would love to see all thirty; a marvellous set - just based on the ones you've shown.

VioletSky said...

While looking at these, I thought they reminded me of an illustration guide.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I had no idea the series was such a large one. I should write to my relatives more often.

viridian said...

I agree with Bob, to see the whole set together would be great. Thanks for participating.

Jocelyn said...

Lovely lovely stamps.